Re: UTF-8 code in HTML

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 11:17:52 EDT

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Antoine Leca wrote:

> > The fact that the browser can correctly decode the UTF-8 is not at issue. The
> > problem is that IE4 and NN4 allow only one font to be associated with the UTF-8
> > encoding (in the user interface)... and the default is a Latin-1 font.
>
> Well, this is perhaps the case for Macintosh and Unices, but I do not agree
> with you about Windows boxes.

  Not true of Unix version of Netscape 4.x, either. Netscape 4.x
'collect" as many glyphs as possible from all the fonts available
on the system to render UTF-8 pages. It doesn't use a single font
to render UTF-8. (instead, it uses a set of fonts for UTF-8 rendering
although there's no UI for users to fine-control which set of fonts
to use)

> > My speculated Polish-Japanese page contains a few "black squares" in the
> > Polish and all black squares in the Japanese.
>
> This is agreed about Japanese (and I do not know any solution short of
> Cyberbit or Arial Unicode).

  In Unix/X11, Netscape just works fine if you have both JIS X 208/212
fonts and appropriate ISO-8859-x (for Polish) fonts. Mozilla
also works with possiblely huge iso-10646-1 fonts.

    Jungshik Shin