Re: UTF-8 code in HTML

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 04:42:55 EDT

Addison Phillips wrote:

> Antoine wrote:
> >
> > I believe there are actually very few setup processes that are easier...
> > It is just a matter of having the source media at hand (by far the most
> > difficult), then ten clicks and one reboot.
> >
> It's those ten clicks and the reboot that are a problem [...]

Ask the people in a small company near Vancouver who actually want(ed)
to make Windows 95 able to run on a 386SX with "only" 4 Mo or memory...

Also blame the people in the same company that does not upgrade their
installation scripts as memory gets cheaper and is no more a problem
with Windows 98...

I am like you: I do know the solution, and do not understand how some
projects are managed. I do not understand any reason why the "small"
versions of TNR, Arial and Courier New are still installed on Windows
boxes.

> Lastly, no one has pointed out the fallacy inherent in my example. If you
> want to display Polish and Japanese in the same HTML file (not two frames or
> some other construct) then you pretty much *have* to use Unicode after all.

I am not completely familiar with the various Japanese encodings, but
I seem to remember some did have the Polish characters.

Also certainly ISO 2022 is able to do the trick ;-)))

Best regards,
Antoine