Re: How to create Unicode input methods for MacOS? (long)

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 12:58:03 EDT

SH> One final question: what about MacOS X? Will it use the same input
SH> methods or would we have to create another one for that OS?

The people who know are under NDA, and cannot speak. I know that
quite a few former NeXT and currently Apple employees are listening to
this list, and are just dying to tell you.

My guess, however, judging from MacOS X server, would be that you will
be able to use your current input methods in the ``Blue Box'', the
MacOS compatibility sandbox. The ``Carbon'' semi-compatibility layer
should support ATSUI, but I don't know whether you'll be able to use
your current input methods. As to the native OpenStep-derived
toolkit, it should be pretty much incompatible with current MacOS, but
you may expect excellent Unicode and I18N support in it.

Just a guess, though: I don't know anything for sure.

                                        J.