Re: Japan loves UNICODE

From: mary ink (maryink@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 11:15:03 EDT

Brendan and Markus,

I don't think anyone has to defend or rush to anyone's defense here. Unicode
is going to be a part of everyone's daily life, no? So I guess everyone
feels entitled to take a crack at understanding it, or at least a crack at
it full stop. My own naive questions were answered very patiently by Edward
Cherlin and Donald Lord. I was grateful because beyond this public forum
it's a bit tough to get current information on very detailed aspects of
Unicode. Besides, can you really blame anyone for being alarmed about how an
international standardization body will deal with their unique, complex,
nuanced and expressive scripted language? Some people will react all out of
reason over a dropped circonflex. Some won't. The more correct information
people have in advance the less they'll go off all xenophobic and paranoid
about Unicode.