Re: Encoding Bengali Vowel forms (again)

From: Mark Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 02:26:10 EDT

Ken, I also think you have stated it well. I have no real set position on this issue, but I believe a couple of the points in favor of #2 are, on closer examination, not strong arguments in favor of that position.

>The entire sequences, Vowel_A_zophola_AA and Vowel_E_zophola_AA,
     constitute vowel-initial syllables. This would be handled more
     naturally for text processes if a structural solution comparable
     to that of Devanagari were chosen...

In all of the common text processes: rendering, word-break, etc., it will make essentially no difference that the vowel is a "base" instead of a consonant. If someone can come up with a case where it would make a difference in implementation, that would be useful to discuss.

>Rendering would be simpler, since for both of these sequences,
     there would simply be a one-to-one character-to-glyph mapping,
     as for the other long...

Once you have a system that handles Indic rendering, adding more or fewer items to a ligature table will make no real difference in complexity or performance.

I agree with Apurva that if we go down the road of sanctioning #1, it makes it tricker to do #2. What one would probably have to do is to allow #1 into the indefinite future, while making #2 the preferred mechanism when it comes available.

I think what it comes down to is:
#1 is available today (or the very near term), but seems odd to people used to halant as a 'vowel killer'
#2 is more natural for users, but would be at least a year or two out by the time it grinds through both UTC and WG2.

Mark