Re: Transliteration of Arabic characters into English

From: Brendan Murray/DUB/Lotus (brendan_murray@lotus.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 08:16:48 EDT

"Graeme E. Coutts" <gcoutts@philippholzmann.com>wrote:
> I am working on a project which involves the transliteration of Arabic
Geographic Names into English text.
See the ICU project - there's some Arabic/Latin transliteration already
done there. It's on http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu.

>However, there is one character + diacritical combination that I have
failed to find a code for:
In general, you can encode an accented character using the base character +
the combining accent. For example, in the case of CAPITAL Z WITH CEDILLA,
you can generate this using LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z (U+005A) + COMBINING
CEDILLA (U+0327).

B=