Re: Longest Names (was: Re: Unicode trivia)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 01:42:04 EDT

At 11:25 -0800 5/15/2000, Michael Everson wrote:
>Ar 09:57 -0800 2000-05-09, scríobh Kenneth Whistler:
>
> >There are no guarantees, but no one in the UTC or WG2 is competing to
> >create a longer name. There are no specified length limits in the naming
> >rules that WG2 follows, but the committee has watchdogs who try to keep
> >the names shorter, when possible. Furthermore, since the longest existing
> >names are compatibility Arabic ligatures, and since WG2 has vowed not to
> >encode any more Arabic ligatures, we are unlikely to see longer names.
>
>Unless we name Egyptian hieroglyphs in any other way but their catalogue
>names. Compare:
>
>ARABIC LIGATURE UIGHUR KIRGHIZ YEH WITH HAMZA ABOVE WITH ALEF MAKSURA
>ISOLATED FORM
>
>with
>
>EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC SIGN RECUMBANT CROCODILE WITH NORTHERN KINGDOM

                             RECUMBENT

>HEADDRESS AND FLAGELLUM

AND HIPPOPOTAMUS BELOW

>:-)
>
>Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
>15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire/Ireland
>Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
>27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn; Baile an Bhóthair; Co. Átha Cliath; Éire

There was a bit of that sort of thing on alt.fan.pratchett about
three years ago. The sort of extended in-joke his novels tend to
inspire among the faithful. They're the ones with the ANKH-MORPORK
TAVERN SIGN FOUR ELEPHANTS STANDING LOOKING IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS
ON THE TURTLE GREAT A'TUIN WHILE HOLDING A DISC-SHAPED WORLD ON THEIR
BACKS[TM]. That's a commercial logo, of course, seen only at the
Elephants and Turtle, so we don't have to worry about it. The more
immediate question is, Who's buying?

Ed Cherlin <cherlin@cauce.org> <http://www.cauce.org>
No more lying spam frauds. In fact, no e-mail spam at all.
I was reading a sign high on the wall behind the bar:
             ONLY GENUINE PRE-WAR AMERICAN AND
               BRITISH WHISKEYS SERVED HERE
I was trying to count how many lies could be found in those nine
words, and had reached four, with promise of more...
--Dashiell Hammett, The Golden Horseshoe