Re: COPYLEFT SIGN

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 05:57:54 EDT

Ar 12:42 -0800 2000-05-15, scríobh Bernd Warken:
>> You cannot stipulate this. "Copyright" is commonly translated.
>
>In German, it is not translated.

So what? Germans say "Software" too, with an English pronunciation of
"-ware" despite the perfectly good German word "Ware". "Copyright" is
translated in other languages. We say "cóipcheart". We call software "earra
bog". In French, "copyright" is sometimes used, but "droit d'auteur" is as
well. Whatever "copyleft" may mean is not obvious or evident; it is a
translation problem, and we try to avoid that in ISO.

>> I would translate my name as Immersohn. Which exactly proves my point.
>
>That's not right. Immersohn would be Alwaysson. So you see that
>translations are quite dangerous.

Yes, that's what "ever" means. As in "for ever".

>> Whoever made up the word "copyleft" was playing with the word
>> "right". It is cute, but it is not conceptually parseable (as
>> "copyright" is).
>
>Whoever made up the word "Microhard" was playing with the word
>"soft". It is cute, but it is not conceptually parseable (as
>"Microsoft" is).

I never heard of the word "Microhard".

The upshot is this:

1. Proponants of the new character have been asked to show it in actual
widespread use.

2. Proponants of the new character have been advised that the name they
propose is not appropriate given UCS naming conventions.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169