Re: COPYLEFT SIGN

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 06:24:44 EDT

Antoine Leca wrote on 2000-05-16 09:22 UTC:
> More to the point, Copyright is a law of the United States of America,
> that have nothing to do with my own law. However, I am including it,
> and using this character, just because this is almost requested by
> the US law to (somewhat) prevent piracy.

Just for the record:

The "copyright" word and the copyright sign are elements of the World
Copyright Convention, which your country (FR) has signed as well. US law
is irrelevant. The copyright symbol is thus in a sense part of French
legislation (even though it is in practice not required thanks to the
Berne convention).

Markus