Re: COPYLEFT SIGN

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 10:07:37 EDT

In fairness to the proposers of the FREE COPYRIGHT SIGN, having myself
often proposed characters and had them shot at, I know that they might be a
bit demoralized by the various criticisms received, mine included.

They should now go and try to show the character in use in a variety of
contexts. If it is used as, but in place of, the COPYRIGHT SIGN, then it
seems to me that it is not logo-like. But it needs to be demonstrated in
actual use -- not just in manifestos of GNU policy or recommendations of
use. Perhaps they will have to wait until there is some proof of use. But
they know what they need to do to convince the relevant committees.

As far as the name is concerned, it seems to me that if the character isn't
intended to be a joke, then its name must be FREE COPYRIGHT SIGN or
something similar.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169