Re: COPYLEFT SIGN

From: Bernd Warken (bwarken@mayn.de)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 12:34:13 EDT

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 07:49:39AM -0800, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> >From what I have groked about Privat Use Area on this list, I'm surprised
> that there is even is a discussion in this case. If the symbol for "The
> Artist Formely Known as Prince" is a clear-cut case for the Private
> Use Area, I fail to see why the logotype of a certain software association
> is not.

1) The prince symbol was not invented by the artist. It is an old Egyptian
heiroglyph.

2) The copyleft sign is not a logo, but a functional character analoguously
to the copyright sign. This has been discussed in length and proved amply.
We shouldn't iterate eaten stuff like the cows do.

Bernd Warken <bwarken@mayn.de>