Hebrew song (was Re: Hebrew numerals)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 00:14:57 EDT

At 16:54 -0800 5/26/2000, RWhizz12@aol.com wrote:
[snip]
>PS.: I heard a Hebrew theme song

Yiddish, actually, even though the words are of Hebrew origin.

>that's also featured in a popular Easter
>drama (Messiah Alive): `Avenu Shalom 'Alekhem.

Chavenu sholom aleichem, in YIVO orthography

>I'm certain that 2 of the
>title's words are written (in Hebrew)

>shin-lamed-waw-mem [space] 'alef-lamed-yud-kaf-mem;

Mem sofit, both times. "Peace to you", used for Hello and Goodbye.

>would the starting word (I seen it before in a Hebrew how-to
>book) be spelled `ayin-bet-yud-nun-waw?!

het-bet-nun-vav

our friends

>It's often seen written as Aveinu
>(mispelled’Äîregrettably’Äî[on the CD cover] as Hevenu).

Not too far off, actually, depending on regional accents.

>That song is the main
>theme for the Sar Shalom radio show.

and the standard farewell for our youth group at the YMHA in
Elizabeth NJ 40 years ago.

>Thank You!
>

>ISRI INTERNATIONAL SYMBOLISM RESEARCH INSTITUTE
>Robert Lloyd Wheelock 63 Wilson ST Augusta, ME 04330-9473 USA
>rl12whlk@freewwweb.com 1(207)623-5176

Edward Cherlin, Spamfighter <http://www.cauce.org>
"It isn't what you don't know that hurts you, it's
what you know that ain't so."--Mark Twain, or else
some other prominent 19th century humorist and wit