Re: copyleft symbol

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 09:22:35 EDT

From: Bernd Warken <bwarken@mayn.de> wrote:

> > Proponents of the reversed copyright sign need to demonstrate, like
> > everyone else, that the proposed character is in actual use.

> There is lots of stuff using the copyleft symbol. Have a look at
> http://www.copyleft.net (note the postfix .net).

> Among other things, they offer T-shirts and hats with the copyleft
> symboli for sale. Moreover, the frames of their web-pages show the
> reversed C.

> Enough evidence?

I was pretty neutral on this one before, but all I can see at
http://www.copyleft.net are examples which convince me that the copyleft symbol
is a logo - and a commercial one at that. If we go down that road next someone
will suggest the MS WindowsT logo, the Linux penguin and a top hat. How about
the Visa and MasterCard logos? - there are thousands of examples of these
printed in newspaper ads.

- Chris