RE: Lacking large curley brace building characters

From: Murray Sargent (
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 18:58:07 EDT

Large curly braces, etc., characters were recommended to be added by the UTC
this past February and were approved by WG2 this past March. They will be
part of Unicode 3.1.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bernd Warken []
> Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 3:26 PM
> To: Unicode List
> Subject: Lacking large curley brace building characters
> As far as I see, there are no Unicode characters for building large
> curley braces. Such braces are used in mathematics (for the definition
> of variate functions and in combinatorics) and in music notation
> (grouping of staffs).
> Some parts of these braces can be constructed from the box drawing
> characters U+2502 and U256D-70, but the central parts are lacking.
> These characters are available in groff. If you want to know how the
> glyphs for the central parts look try the following UNIX shell commands:
> echo '\(lk\(rk' | groff -Tps >
> ghostview
> Actually, the groff Unicode interface devutf8 maps the right central
> curley
> \(rk to U+251D, and the left one \(lk to U+2525. This looks very ugly
> and is not an appatizing for Unicode.
> It's amazing that the Unicode Consortium did not include these
> characters, for, they are already documented in the mother documentation
> for all type-setting systems
> J.F. Ossanna, Brian W. Kernighan - Troff User's Manual,
> Bell Labs CST Report No. 54
> The history of this classical paper dates back to the 1970s and was
> maintained by Kernighan up to the 1990s. So Unicode should have known
> about that.
> I will not take up the torture of a character submission or even discuss
> the subject. This is a friendly bug-report, not more. It's up to you
> to use the information.
> Bernd Warken <>

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:21:03 EDT