The mother of all collation schemes

From: rampshot@usa.net
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 16:20:27 EDT

I am trying to think of a collation scheme for the purpose of ordering a set
of CDs. Let's say you have CD titles you want to order. They are in different
languages, with a few accented letters, and even some non-Roman letters.

1) Romanise all non-roman names. For Japanese, I'd use "fu" and "chi" and
"shi" and "tsu" and DEFINITELY indicate long vowels (so Tokyo would come out
as "Toukyou").
2) My alphabetical order: (digits are treated as letters):
[sp] [other punc.] 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A Á Ä À B C Ç D E É Ë È F G H Í Ï Ì J K
L M N Ñ O Ó Ö Ò P Q R S T U Ú Ü Ù V W X Y ÿ(why couldn't I find this in
uppercase?) Z
The reason digits are treated as letters is so "97" will come before "98".
I'm not sure how to treat names like "Ranma 1/2". Any ideas? Also, this system
is very sensitive to things such as misspelling "DJ" as "D.J."
Does anyone have any ideas for ordering punctuation?
Of course, if it was just anime CDs the order would be 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a i
u e o ka ki ku ke ko sa shi su, etc.