Designing a multilingual web site

From: Munzir Taha (munzir_taha@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 22:38:24 EDT

I am designing a multilingual web site. I need to enter text in more than 70
languages. I don't know about the limitations I have nor the obstacles I
could meet. I noticed in the Unicode site that they are using a utf-8
charset in the page that contains different languages and 1252 in the
others. I posted a question about this and received the answer that they are
now updating the site to the utf-8 charset. I can't understand why it seems
not that easy. I previously thought that to enter text in different
languages is not more than using utf-8 and that is all.

Is there any problem I could face if I just used utf-8 for the whole site?
utf-8 and utf-16 and Unicode is still makes me confused. Which is right?
In FrontPage 2000 under Windows 2000 I couldn't change the banner text to
any language but English (It seems as FrontPage dialog boxes accepts nothing
but the system language, what can I do)? Although I am enabling Arabic but
it appears wrong when I use it in dialog boxes.
In notepad under win2k I have the option to save as Unicode, utf-8, Unicode
big endian. What this stuff mean?

Thanks in advance,
You are doing great work.