RE: the Ethnologue

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 17:06:23 EDT

Rick asks,
>>Can anyone point me to an existing list of languages that is more
comprehensive and better
>> researched than the Ethnologue? If there is no such list, then we don't
need to consider any
>>alternatives, right?

I've heard that the Ethnologue deals only with currently spoken languages
and doesn't provide codes that distinguish between dialects. It would be
nice to have a more general list of language codes. It's important for
spell checking to distinguish between, say, British and American English.
The Ethnologue describes some such differences in text, but doesn't appear
to provide a corresponding list of secondary language codes (pls correct me
if I'm wrong).

Thanks
Murray