U+007E is informatively Sm?

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 16:30:14 EDT

In UnicodeData.txt, U+007E TILDE is given the general category of Sm,
Symbol Math.

From Section 6.1, p. 149 of TUS3, the implication is that U+007E is
actually punctuation, and should have the general category of Po,
Punctuation Other. Indeed, the text compares this with U+223C TILDE
OPERATOR, which is in the Mathematical Operators block and also has a
general category of Sm.

Anyway, this came up when a coworker came into my office and said,
"Did you know tilde isn't punctuation?" In many of our applications,
where we are looking at URLs and such, it certainly is punctuation, as
much as '/' or ':'.

So I guess what I'm asking is this: what is the rationale for U+007E
being given the property Sm instead of Po?

TIA,

    -tree

Zenkaku Language Hacker                            http://www.basistech.com