Mac support of UCAS in Unicode 3.0

From: Nesbitt, Gavin (GNesbitt@GOV.NU.CA)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 19:14:08 EDT

I'm trying to determine what level of support exists within MacOS 8.5, 9.0
and above for characters in the Unicode 3.0 range. To be specific I'm
interested in a defined character set (approximately U+1401 - U+157) of the
Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1400.pdf>. I should add that Inuktitut
has traditionally not been formally supported in any OS and only with
Unicode has it become part of a standard. The specific character set is used
in the Territory of Nunavut in Canada's Eastern Arctic.

Most of our work to date has been on Windows and I have a fairly good idea
of the issues for input and display. However, when it comes to the Mac I'm
left somewhat scratching my head. Rather than trying to rephrase what I
think I know about the issues for Mac, perhaps I can just plead ignorance
and see what advice might be out there.

To focus this advice, perhaps I can ask whether Unicode syllabic encoded web
pages would be technically viewable on Macs? If so, what would be required
to do so and if not, what might be required to get it supported...?

If desirable I can put up some pages that I know work on Windows and IE 5+
(actually, 4 as well).

In addition, here's some decimal form NCRs that I know display properly on
Windows. I haven't had success Mac/IE 5 getting these recognized yet. Just
question marks.
ᑎᕿᐅᕿᑎ ᑎᕿᐅᕿᑎ

Much obliged. (For those curious - yes we have snow already and yes it is
getting dark very early ;-)

-Gavin

Gavin Nesbitt - gnesbitt@gov.nu.ca
Legislative Assembly of Nunavut