Re: Q.'s about hanja

From: Erland Sommarskog (sommar@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 18:42:55 EST

Jungshik Shin <jshin@pantheon.yale.edu> writes:
> There are quite lots of newspapers that went 'all-Hangul'

Really? No Latin script at all?

Admittedly, I didn't pay much attention the Korean newspaper during
my two weeks stay, but I recall that looked over the shoulder of
someone reading a newspaper with Hangul in. But on the head of the
page I saw, it read: SPORTS.

And given that Latin appears to be used wherever you want to be hip(*),
I would surprised if it is not in newspapers. Did you ever see Lotteria
spelled in Hangul? (Well, maybe it is. Since my reading pace of Hangul
is extremely slow, I would have seen it in passing.)

(*) The most extreme case was Lotte's shopping centre in Pusan.
There in the basement, there was a foutain with a very classic
Greek/Roman design, and the text above was not only in Latin
script: it was in Latin, with spellling PVSAN and all.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se