Unicode Fonts, (was RE: FW: embedding in HTML

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 12:38:06 EST

Hi Sujit,

Your problem is an old and somewhat famous one.

Older browsers (e.g. versions with numbers less than 5.0 of both IE and
Netscape) running on Windows (and sometimes other platforms) were designed
to use the font specified in the user's preferences. The preferences
dialog assigned a different font to each "language" or language type (for
example "Western"). The problem is that they associated the font with a
particular file encoding ("character set").

This means that the Unicode character set, which contains characters from
many languages and writing systems, was assigned one and only one font for
display. The default font (that it is set to at installation time) is
Times, a font that contains glyphs for Latin-based writing systems only.

In order to see the characters correctly in YOUR browser using NS 4.7x,
you can download a font that encodes most of the Unicode range, such as
Microsoft's Arial Unicode MS font, and set the Unicode encoding (or any
other encoding, for that matter) to use that font for display.

If you wish to see only Japanese characters (and assuming you have
Japanese fonts installed), you can just set the Unicode encoding to use
your favorite Japanese font (Mincho, Gothic, what have you) and your
problem with go away.

I should note that the "more modern" 5.x and 6.x browsers search your
system for appropriate fonts and this is why they work where 4.x browsers
"don't".

There is also a detailed FAQ on the Unicode web site on this topic that
you may wish to search out.

Hope this helps,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services