Re: eot and pfr files

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 11:30:26 EST

Sreekanth Devarakonda wrote about options for displaying
Indic scripts in web pages including Microsoft WEFT.

The WEFT tool can embed certain fonts for web pages.

As far as I know, in order to embed Indic Unicode :

1) An OpenType font with the necessary glyphs would have to be
installed on your system and the font would have to have
embedding enabled.

2) You would need an operating system which supports OpenType,
such as Windows 2000.

3) The WEFT embedding tool would have to support OpenType, and
I do not know if the current version supports OpenType yet.

Since in your earlier letter you mentioned that your application must
be ready in the very near future, perhaps you might consider embedding
the Indic portions of your project using any of the many fine non-Unicode
TrueType fonts available in order to meet your time limit, and converting
the Indic portion to true Unicode format once support for Indic scripts
becomes widely available.

Briefly, OpenType allows glyph substitution, enabling the substitution
of appropriate special letter-forms like conjuncts, half-forms, reduced
forms, etc., for Unicode strings.

You can test how well your system supports Unicode Indic script display
by visiting sites like:
http://www.trigeminal.com/index.asp?1081

Hope this helps.

Best regards,