RE: Transcriptions of "Unicode"

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 21:09:13 EST

erik@netscape.com said: "I don't think it's reasonable to expect a browser
to apply various heuristics to determine the language."

Since people really want Japanese to be displayed with a Japanese font and
Chinese with a traditional or simplified Chinese font, the RichEdit facilty
and some other Microsoft software apply heuristics to figure out which font
to use for plain-text Chinese characters. We usually get it right, but as
with any heuristics, errors can occur. CJK unification is a great idea, but
unfortunately it isn't perfect in this respect. I've talked about this
problem and our heuristics at a couple of recent Unicode conferences.

With rich text, language attributes can be used which gets around the
problem. In principle language attributes can also be inserted into plain
text, namely as language mnemonics comprised of plane-14 annotation
characters. But such characters can confuse text clients, so we haven't
used them.

Thanks
Murray