RE: (bidi) Determining whether Locales are left-to-right

From: Jonathan Rosenne (rosenne@qsm.co.il)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 14:11:10 EST

Localized Hebrew Excel has a button to flip the global direction of the screen
and presentation of the columns - RTL or LTR - and this preference is also
stored in the file.

The user can choose his default. It should not be determined from the locale,
when I open a new spreadsheet the application cannot guess whether I am going to
enter Hebrew or English data. Nor is it determined by the user interface
language.

Word is similar.

BTW, it is not off topic, the global direction is defined by the Unicode bidi
algorithm.

Jony