Re: [langue-fr] L'anglais est-il une langue universelle ?

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2000 - 20:14:48 EST

----- Message d'origine -----
De : "Erland Sommarskog" <sommar@algonet.se>

> Alain LaBonté <alb@riq.qc.ca> poste un message très longe:

> > Is English the best marketing and communication tool?
> Oh, but it is not only the English speakers. May I present some
> nine millions Swedes to assist them? That is, most of my fellow countrymen
> appears not to be able to even consider the possibility of communicating
> with in any other language than Swedish or English. And Swedish is only
> used in a confined context. The French are very impoular in Sweden,
> because "they don't speak French". (Truth is most people in France

I suppose you meant "they don't speak English".

> speak English, but they often prefer if you make a token attempt to
> speak French first. If you French is not good enough, they will swift
> promptly.)

May I add that this is precisely the reason that makes so many
Scandinavians and Dutch unsufferable : they cannot imagine speaking anything
else than English to a foreigner (often not even their own language).

> (Myself, I'm not really like that. My own idea of a good holiday trip
> is that not speaking English exepct as a last resort.)

Speaking first the language of the local people ? Good.

P. Andries
[the name is Dutch...]