Re: Combining macron on Mac

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 20:38:42 EST

On Wednesday, January 10, 2001, at 02:27 PM, Katsuhiko Momoi wrote:

> How do users input or get a Latin letter (usually a vowel) with a
> macron (-) over it on Macintosh, e.g. to represent a long vowel in
> Japanese. I have not been able to find any dead key combination for
> this on Mac OS 8.6. Maybe there is an improvement on this for Mac OS 9?

MacRoman doesn't include any characters with a macron, so there is
really no orthodox way to do this in most Mac applications. You'll need
to get an application that supports Unicode through ATSUI/MLTE or
Cocoa. There are no general word processors on 9.0 or earlier that do
the former, and the latter is a technology only available on Mac OS X.

> If this is not possible by conventional means, what are alternatives?

Use a hacked font.

(Just don't say I told you to do it.)