Re: Transcriptions of "Unicode"

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 06:36:43 EST

Hallo everybody!

I don't fully agree with Mark Davis' API transcription of "Unicode":

http://my.ispchannel.com/~markdavis//unicode/Unicode_transcription_images/U_
IPA.gif

Because:

1) I think that IPA transcriptions should be in [square brackets], while
phonemic transcriptions should be in /slashes/. If neither enclosing is
present, the transcription is ambiguous.

2) AFAIK, the phoneme [o:] (a long version of "o" in "got") does not exist
in any standard pronunciation of contemporary English. It should rather be
the diphthong [ou] (where the [u] would probably better be U+028A).

3) The transcription shows the primary stress on the first syllable, and a
secondary stress on the last one. In the few occasions when I heard native
English speakers saying "Unicode", I had the impression that it rather was
the other way round.

4) As "Unicode" is the proper name of an international standard, and it is
built with two English roots of French origin, it could as well be
considered a French word, which would lead to a totally different
transcription.

Sorry if I am repeating something already said by other people: I have been
off the list for a while. And, about points 2 and 3 above, beware that I am
a second language English speaker and that I don't have much experience of
American pronunciation.

Ciao.
Marco Cimarosti