Unicode before Unicode

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 12:03:16 EST

I didn't expect 'Unicode' to be in OED II (1989), but it is. OED II cites
a few examples (including the title of a book: 'Unicode: The Universal
Telegraphic Phrase-Book' ) of 'Unicode' used in the late 19th century
and gives the following meaning to the word:

  A telegraphic code in which one word or set of letters represents a
sentence or phrase; a telegram or message in this.

Apparently, the word was coined in Britain (so the 'old Unicode'
does not have North Californian origin :-) while the new one
has )

Maybe it's been known to some, but I though this is new to some other
people like me. Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the book
mentioned above was used in the US as well as in Britain.

Jungshik Shin