Re: Greek questions, on- and off-topic

From: Patrick T. Rourke (ptrourke@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 08:00:49 EST

Here's a listing of the Unicode names (which are the modern Greek names, I
believe) for diacriticals in the Extended Greek range and the analogous
English *common* names of the Greek accents:

acute = oxia
grave = varia
circumflex = perispomeni
iota subscript = ypogegrammeni
smooth breathing = psili
rough breathing = dasia
diaresis = dialytika

"Tonos" is the Greek word for accent. The letters with "tonos" in the basic
Greek block are called that because all accented Greek characters in modern
Greek script use the same accent - and that is the acute.

The following diacriticals are not used in typeset Greek text, but only in
dictionaries and other books where learners need to be given the length of
alpha, iota, and epsilon (omicron and epsilon are of course always short;
and omega and eta are of course always long, so one would never need the
macron or breve over the other four vowels, even in dictionary listings):

macron = macron
vrachy = breve

The basic Greek block also includes letters that are not used in Classical
Attic (Stigma, Digamma, Qoppa, Sampi, Yot), except that some are used as
numerals, and a number of characters that are only used in Coptic
(post-hieroglyphic Egyptian: Dei, Shei, Fei, Khei, Hori, Shima) and are
derived from the demotic Egyptian script. Also do not use the "symbol"
versions of Greek letters.

Ano teleia is the semicolon (a raised dot). I imagine that the capitals with
diaresis are there for text that's in all capitals but is accented.

Note that ancient, biblical and Byzantine Greek all use the polytonic
version of the script, and modern Greek uses the monotonic (in effect, only
uses the acute accent).

I've been working for some time on an online resource for using Unicode with
ancient Greek, but it's not yet in finished form.

It is VERY important to follow Marco Cimarosti's suggestion to look at the
normalization forms chart.

Patrick Rourke
ptrourke@mediaone.net