Re: Greek questions, on- and off-topic

From: P. T. Rourke (ptrourke@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 10:39:27 EST

By "archaic text," I assume you mean when one wishes to represent the way
e.g. Pindar would have spelled (he would not have used the 24 letter
alphabet, anyway; a number of characters were added in the late 5th century,
the "classical" period that usually begins after the "archaic" period ends
in 480 bce). We should not confuse the issue: any modern critical edition
of a Greek text from 800 bce to 400 ce at least (and I think this would be
true of Byzantine Greek as well, bringing us well into the 15th century; but
I am not a Byzantinist) would be set in mixed case Greek, with the upper
case used only on the first letter of proper nouns and for titles. For an
example, see the Greek texts at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/ ; these are
set according to modern practice.

Patrick Rourke
ptrourke@mediaone.net