Re: What about musical notation?

From: jgo (john@nisus.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 19:03:43 EST

> *******************
> * ENGLISH VERSION *
> *******************
> I read the code approved (but not released yet), but exists a deficiency
> (from my point of view) and giving to Perry Roland all my admiration for
> the excellent work:
> -Talking strictly about the notes; the convention approved is focusing
> to "draw" music, but it is not giving it a meaning to the position
> where each note is, what I try to say is, a NATURAL on "Fa" has NOT
> the same value (meaning) on "La". Thinking a little bit how to
> improve it, is asigning caracters for position (similar to super-
> scripts and subscripts) in order to have a unique graphic
> representation, but with meaning (determined by the position on
> the block)...

Representing music well requires much more complication.
There are at least 3 layers of time-dependency that should
be shown (the envelope of the note, the total time for
that note's envelope, and the primary frequency). There
are also volume cues over time, and things like tremolo
or vibrato or trill, secondary harmonics, "key" changes
(which affects subsequent representation of those primary
frequencies)...

Yes, it would be nice to have a character-oriented way
to notate music, but it doesn't lend itself well to
one or two dimensions as the display of characters
(well character "glyphs") usually is.

John G. Otto Nisus Software, Engineering
www.infoclick.com www.mathhelp.com www.nisus.com software4usa.com
EasyAlarms PowerSleuth NisusEMail NisusWriter MailKeeper QUED/M
   My opinions are probably not those of Nisus Software, Inc.