Re: Perception that Unicode is 16-bit (was: Re: Surrogate space in

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 01:10:28 EST

On 02/20/2001 11:48:07 PM DougEwell2 wrote:

>In a message dated 2001-02-20 09:53:50 Pacific Standard Time,
>Peter_Constable@sil.org writes:
>
>> An alphabet is a type of writing system, something that is implemented
for
>> a particular language. Certainly Latin is the name of a language while
>> Roman is not, and so "Latin alphabet" is correct while "Roman alphabet"
>> would not be.
>
>Counterexample: The "Cyrillic" script is used to write Russian,
Bulgarian,
>Serbian, Ukrainian, etc. This is an especially useful term precisely
because
>there is no "Cyrillic" language, and so the term does not favor any one
>language over others.

These are not counterexamples to what I wrote, that I can see. I was not
suggesting that script names must be adjectives than can in any way be
attributed to a language. I don't see your point at all.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>