Re: Perception that Unicode is 16-bit (was: Re: Surrogate

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 05:53:27 EST

John Hudson wrote:

> At 09:05 AM 2/20/2001 -0800, Antoine Leca wrote:
>
> >(In French, sans serif is normally named "antique"....
>
> Which must be very confusing to Germans and others who use 'antiqua' to
> distinguish seriffed humanists types from blackletter.

And you do believe that Frenchies are _not_ confused by the fact that
Germans and others have misused the French word?

;-)

The whole point is that the terminology is quite different according
to the reference language, and terms that looks like similar or even
identical often have different meanings.

Which asks strongly to AVOID the use of foreign typographical words
in any case, because the end result is just confusion.

<OT>
And this is very difficult for us foreigners to achieve, because
usually localizers do process straight with the English word and
just put it in the local variation, without looking at the regular
traditionnal term. As an example, at the moment in France I believe
most people things the sans serif types are to be named "sans
empattement", which is not incorrect but is not the genuine term
either. Another example, to edit is to be translated by "modifier",
except in computer contexts where you have to use "Edit"...
</OT>

Antoine