Re: Perception that Unicode is 16-bit (was: Re: Surrogate space i

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 08:51:23 EST

On 02/22/2001 01:38:24 PM Tom Lord wrote:

> Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:
> "Unicode is a character set encoding standard which currently provides
for
> its entire character repertoire to be represented using 8-bit, 16-bit
or
> 32-bit encodings."
>
>Please say "encoding forms".

OK, but I'm more concerned about my improper use of which. It also wouldn't
hurt to mention the potential size of the repertoire:

"Unicode is a character set encoding standard that can support a character
repertoire of over a million characters and that currently provides for its
entire repertoire to be represented using 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit encoding
forms."

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>