Re: [OT] 19th century "Unicode"

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 14:54:30 EST

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> In Mark Davis' Unicode transcriptions page
> (http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/Unicode_transcriptions.html) it is
> mentioned a previous meaning of the word Unicode:
>
> "A telegraphic code in which one word or set of letters represents a
> sentence or phrase; a telegram or message in this. (late 19th century, OED)"
>
> Out of curiosity, does anyone have web or book references about this 19th
> century Unicode?

Well, you may look up the Unicode mailing list archive :-) On January
12th, I sent two emails (Unicode before Unicode) about this and that's
where Mark Davis picked up the above, I believe. The second message
refered to the following web site with quite a lot of references.

   http://www.mtah.edu:8080/pub/tex/bib/unicode.html

Jungshik Shin