Re: Final letters in Hebrew and Arabic

From: Jeff Guevin (jguevin@bu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 16:59:31 EST

Arabic letters, when alone, always appear in form 1 -- the form designed for
just such a use. There is one medial form--for letters on both sides--and
two other forms, one for when the letter is attached from the right, and one
attached from the left.

Arabic short vowels (which are like diacritics and not necessary for
writing) do nothing to the forms of most letters and would never make a
letter medial.

This seems to me to be true regardless of whether it's Classical, Modern
Standard, or Colloquial Arabic.

I'm gone for the weekend, so, see Monday!

Jeff