compatibility characters in Arabic block

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 00:38:36 EDT

In the Arabic block, there are four characters with compatibility
decompositions: 0675 - 0678. The names list says that these are for Kazakh.
I'm wondering why these have compatibility decompositions and not canonical
deompositions (possibly excluded from composition). I.e. why aren't they
considered to be like typical precomposed forms, such as Latin a-ring
(00e5) or Hebrew alef patah (FB2E). Anybody know about this?

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>