RE: UTF-8S score keeping

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 16:36:43 EDT

Tex,

> I don't really intend to maintain this list however. If someone else
> wants to, I am fine with their taking over it.
> I'll give up my copyright to it... ;-)

I really don't think we need a list. I think the real issue is that the
people who proposed UTF-8s presumed that they could use the standard UTF-8
services with UTF-8s. This had forgotten the lessons of broken characters
that we had with MBCS using string handling routines that were non-mbcs
aware.

If they have to develop a whole new set of support routines for UTF-8s then
they might as well use UTF-16 support code and then there is no problem.

I think that there will be many Oracle users who will be furious when then
find that UTF8 will not work with UTF-8 support functions because they will
break characters. They will consider changing to a different vendor when
they find that they are messed up because there is no simple way to convert
from UTF8 to AL32UTF8.

Carl