Re: UTFs, ACEs, and English horns

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 15:16:39 EDT

Doug Ewell expostulated:

> Now, upon visiting the Internet Drafts index once again, I see a
> proliferation of ACEs, including schemes called BRACE and DUNCE. (I can't
> tell from the spec whether DUNCE is intended as a joke or not, and I think
> that says a lot.) The big question now is which of these burgeoning ACEs
> will emerge as the standard, or -- horrors -- whether *more than one* might
> be adopted.

You might want to take at look at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-ace-report-00.txt

a summary recommendation report that was just announced.

"This document is a summary of the work of the ACE design team of the
Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Working Group. If the IDN WG selects
a single ACE, the design team suggests DUDE."

(not a joke)

--Ken