Re: Slovenian and Croat letters

From: Primoz Peterlin (peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 02:42:26 EDT

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Martin Kotulla wrote:

> Can anyone give me some information on the Slovenian and Croat letters
> in the Unicode range U+0200 to U+0217?

They are used to mark the tone in phonetics:

double grave marks a short high voice
inverted breve marks a long high voice

Along with them, acute marks a long low voice, and grave marks a short low
voice. A circumflex on E and O, acute and grave on AEIOU are used to mark
the strength of a voice.

> I have asked a Croat lady and she claims to never have seen those
> letters.

Unless she is a linguist, I am not surprised.

> Which purpose do these characters have? At what point in time have they
> been in use?

The mentioned glyphs are contemporary (scholarly), not historic.

With best regards,

Primoz

--
Primož Peterlin,   Inštitut za biofiziko, Med. fakulteta, Univerza v Ljubljani
Lipičeva 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija.  primoz.peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si