Re: validity of lone surrogates (was Re: Unicode surroga tes: just say no!)

From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk (qrczak@knm.org.pl)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 04:04:04 EDT

27 Jun 2001 13:38:33 +0100, Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@cam.ac.uk> pisze:

> I would be indebted if any of the experts who hang out on the
> unicode list could sort out this confusion.

I would be glad if the resolution allowed UTF-8 and UTF-32 encoders and
decoders to not worry about surrogates at all. Please leave surrogate
issues to UTF-16.

It's a pity that UTF-16 doesn't encode characters up to U+FFFFF, such
that code points corresponding to lone surrogates can be encoded as
pairs of surrogates.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/