Re: New characters query (Hexagrams)

From: Richard Cook (rscook@socrates.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 19:51:20 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:

> At 13:59 -0700 2001-07-03, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
> >>But I thought proposals for characters with decompositions into existing
> >>characters are no longer being accepted.
> >
> >True for accented letters where the combining marks already exist,
> >but I don't think we want to have two sets of trigrams, one spacing
> >and the other combining. Do we?
>
> Gods, no.

There are arguments for seeing many signs as having decompositions, for
example, most Hanzi are composite ... and I've even seen decomposition
schemes that beautifully decompose roman text into a small number of
graphical primitives ... the thing is, I think most people would agree
that graphical decomposition, for all it's elegance, is not always the
way to go when encoding semantic units ... larger composite units are
more manageable to humans ...