Re: Arial Unicode MS and Code2000

From: Rajesh Chandrakar (rajesh@inflibnet.ac.in)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 08:09:39 EDT

Andrew Cunningham wrote:

> Hi Rajesh
>
> it cann't be done
>
> both Arial Unicode MS and Code2000 contain indic characters, but only those
> defined in the Unicode standard, the discret characters.
>
> If i remember correctly, the required conjuncts and ligatures for variious
> langauges are not present in these fonts.
>
> You'll need to use open type fonts designed for specific Indic languages.
>
> What operating system are you running the clients on?

we are using Windows 9x for clients and Windows NT and MS Sql Server 7.0 for
server.

> In win2000 there is only full support for Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit, Tamil,
> Urdu (Sindhi may be possible)
>
> windows XP (due for relaese latter this year) adds Bangla, Gujarati,
> Kannada, Panjabi, Telugu,
>
> you'll probably need different fonts for most of these

Is it your indication in this area is, separate fonts for all languages as true
type? if yes, will it not create problem in indexing and searching of database?

and what about the storage of the data, will it not be messed in back end?

> don't think antone has released a single font that will do them all

So, right now there is no any open type font has come out, which can support
all languages.

regards

rajesh chandrakar