RE: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 17:05:25 EDT

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Ayers, Mike wrote:

> Okay, I sent these as UTF-8, with some Chinese where the question
> marks are. However, the Chinese is getting eaten somewhere along the way.
> Oddly, though, the Thai still displays fine. Would any Outlook XP guru
> volunteer to help me get back to my international ways?
>
> Final test: ????

  Nothing cryptic. As with others on this thread, your problem is
to mistake Windows-874 (legacy encoding for Thai) for UTF-8. Because
Windows-874 does NOT cover Chinese characters, they turned into
'?'. Judging from your message hader, you're not using MS OE
but something different.

   MS OE 5.x is smart enough to detect characters (in your
reply. in this case Chinese characters) not covered by the repertoire
of MIME charrset (in this case, Windows-874) of the message you're
replying to (by default, whch is also the MIME charset of your reply)
and to prompt users to answer whether to use UTF-8 or not explaining
that some of characters are not representable in the default encoding
(the encoding of the message you're replying to) and will be lost.
You can also configure MS OE to always use UTF-8 (or whatever
encoding of your choice) regardless of the encoding of
messages you're replying to.

> > From: Ayers, Mike [mailto:Mike_Ayers@bmc.com]
> >
> > Let's try this again...

> > กลัปมาอยู่แล้ว
> > > >

> > Woohoo!!! UTF-8 party!!! ???!!!

  No, it should have been Windows-874 party !! :-).
Both Mark Davis and Peter Constable sent messages in Windows-874
beleiving that they're using UTF-8.

   However, I'm sending this in UTF-8 (after automatic conversion by
my mail client, Pine 4.33).

    Jungshik Shin