RE: Unicode and windows menus

From: Richard, Francois M (Francois.M.Richard@usa.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 15:52:45 EDT

> Alternately, the program would have to use owner draw to
> handle the menu
> captions (where it could of course use any font it wanted to!).
>
> MichKa
>
> Michael Kaplan
> Trigeminal Software, Inc.
> http://www.trigeminal.com/

Back to the original discussion related to Windows display of Chinese
characters,
we have an application with the same problem on Win2000:

We use SetWindowText() to set the caption of the title bar of windows. We
have checked that the actual string passed to SetWindowText() is the correct
Unicode one.

Here is the problem:
If running Win2K with the Japanese system Locale, then accented characters
(e.g. 'ê') will be replaced by ascii ones (e.g. 'e'). This is true only for
the title bar of windows (not widgets controlled by our application. These
display any Unicode character fine).

If running Win2K with the English system Locale, then Japanese characters
(e.g. U+ff7d '?') will be replaced by '?'. Again , this is true only for the
title bar of windows (not widgets controlled by our application).

We set the system to Arial Unicode MS or to specific Japanese font but still
have the problem. Any idea about any API (other than SetWindowText()) that
you can use to manipulate the caption?

François