Re: RTF language codes

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 10:31:07 EDT

On 07/23/2001 09:33:50 PM Marc Durdin wrote:

>In the MSDN library, at least in Nadine Kano's book "Developing
International
>Software for Windows 95 and Windows NT", which is included on the CD, the
>language Lao (or Laotian) is listed with LCID 0x42B. This LCID was set to

>Armenian in Windows 2000, with no explanation. Microsoft told me that the

>original listing of Lao was a 'mistake'. This mistake is still listed in
the
>MSDN library that I have installed.

I believe the change in the MSDN Library occurred between the April and
July 1998 editions. Codes for Lao (x2b) and Khmer (x2c) were changed to
Aremenian and Azeri.

>The logical split into two languages, if well documented, would be fine --

>although a deprecation of the original LCID would have been more
appropriate,
>but changing the script for LCID 0x81a is never acceptable!

Yes, that's a significant problem.

>1. The tables are not static: significant changes have been made in the
past,
>and errors in published documentation have never been documented or
rectified.
>There is no guarantee that these numbers will stay the same.

There appears to have been a mixup over Lao / Khmer > Aremenian / Azeri,
but I wouldn't conclude that this represents a precedent that we can expect
to be repeated. My impression is that control has tightened up since then.
I certainly hope it has. The situation with 0x81a should be another lesson
to the appropriate folk at MS that they need to be very careful with
changes.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>