RE: Indic editing (was: RE: The real solution)

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:40:30 EST

Arjun Aggarwal wrote:
> Would you kindly tell me how i can construct such input methods and
> ultimately create fonts.

Er... It is not so easy to do this kind of things yourself. You should buy
(or, however, "get") software that properly supports Devanagari.

> [...] I created web pages using the ZWJ and ZWNJ controls

Why? Those controls are only needed in very special cases, such as when
teaching the alphabet.

To write normal text you only use the normal letters and the "virama"
(halant). Half letters and ligatures, if supported, are automatically
displayed by the software.

> but they are not correctly visible in IE5.0 and Windows98 .

I think there is no hope to see it correctly with IE in Windows 98. But
other people may know some solution.

> I don't know if the same is true for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Can you point us to the pages, os send a sample (either privately or
publickly)?

Many people here would be able to verify whether the encoding is correct,
and even to show you what the page look like on different systems.

> And as there should be code points that can be stored in
> databases for the
> web and non-connected databases .And the storage of ZWJ and ZWNJ is a
> definite no-no.You know the reason better than me.

I don't know the reason. If a database can hold Unicode text, there is no
reason why it shouldn't support these two particular characters.

Moreover, as I said, this could be a false problem, as these controls are
NOT normally part of Devanagari text.

_ Marco