Fw: Devanagari

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 12:14:17 EST

I agree, the right approach is to look at some real data. And best is to
look not at raw byte proportions per character, but at real UTF-8 text with
equivalent translated content. There are a number of translated pages with
the following sizes linked through:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html

09,618 s-chinese.html
09,682 t-chinese.html
10,110 esperanto.html
10,279 maltese.html
10,475 icelandic.html
10,632 czech.html
10,660 welsh.html
10,808 danish.html
10,856 swedish.html
10,863 polish.html
10,864 spanish.html
10,955 interlingua.html
11,000 italian.html
11,038 lithuanian.html
11,044 portuguese.html
11,096 romanian.html
11,106 german.html
11,134 korean.html
11,281 french.html
11,462 japanese.html
13,892 persian.html
14,808 WhatIsUnicode.html*
14,028 greek.html
14,632 russian.html
15,218 hindi.html
15,853 deseret.html
16,069 georgian.html
18,185 arabic.html*

Hindi is about the same as Greek or Russian, and about 37% more than German.
But notice that when we look at the figures, it would appear that the
Unicode consortium is favoring Chinese over all European languages!

Yet as has been pointed out, even the comparisons here are not really
representative in terms of total web content, since they have so few
graphics. With a higher proportion of images to text, the differences in the
text size are completely swamped.

Mark

* The Arabic page has a lot of crufty HTML carried over from MS Word;
otherwise I would expect it to take about the same room as Persian.
* The English page (WhatIsUnicode.html) has an overstated byte count, since
it has the index on it.

—————

Πόλλ’ ἠπίστατο ἔργα, κακῶς δ’ ἠπίστατο πάντα — Ὁμήρου Μαργίτῃ
[For transliteration, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr]

http://www.macchiato.com