Re: Norwegian sorting

From: Stefan Persson (alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 12:14:55 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Marius Garshol" <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
To: "Unicoders" <unicode@unicode.org>
Sent: den 21 januari 2002 15:16
Subject: Re: Norwegian sorting

> I doubt that there is an official standard for this, but I would
> expect to find Ü sorted with Y, given that Norwegian Y is pronounced
> just like Swedish/German/Dutch Ü. Many reference works sort V and W
> together, for example, according to the same principle.

Swedish: "Ü" only used in German loan words.
German: "Ü" pronunciated as a Swedish "y."
Dutch: "Ü" pronunciated completely different.

In Swedish we sort the German "ü" as "y," and the Dutch "ü" as "u."

> | b) Can someone offers some example words that demonstrate words with
> | u-umlaut sorting appropriately?
>
> I can't think of a Scandinavian word with "ü" in it, actually. You'd
> have to look at an encyclopedia or atlas to find appropriate examples.

The only Swedish word containing "ü" that I can think of, is "müsli," which
is a German loan word. The "ü" is sorted as "y" in all dictionnaries. The
"ü" is also pronunciated as "y."

Stefan