[Fwd: RE: FrameMaker+SGML 6.0, InDesign and Unicode]

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 19:51:39 EST

Maurice Bauhahn wrote :

>No, FrameMaker 6.0 does not support Unicode.

So if I get it right for FrameMaker6.0+SGML to support Chinese I need a Chinese OS?
And to support French (spelling, hyphenation) and Chinese? Can I use a French FrameMaker+SGML
on a Chinese OS?

>This is a sore point with me.
>Discussions with Adobe folk at an ATYPI conference a little over a year ago
>did not leave me with any hope that Adobe would start supporting Unicode in
>that product either. It is dangerous to own the second priority product when
>a company publishes two products of similar genre...and especially so when
>the second priority product is bought in. The worse thing that happened to
>FrameMaker was to be bought by Adobe;-(

Does someone know whether there is an upgrade path from FrameMaker+SGML to something else, let's say InDesign (through XML/RTF Documents)?
Does such a move make technical (is InDesign able to handle documents of thousand of pages, same features as FrameMaker?) or strategical sense (how is FrameMaker evolving(*))?

How is the Unicode support of InDesign?

Patrick Andries

(*) The Adobe link "FrameMaker is alive and well!" leads to a File not Found...An ominous sign ?
http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/prodinfosgml.html then click to go to http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/fmkrelease.html